Thursday, November 6, 2008

Great New Programming for Kids!

UPDATE: CLICK THE LINK FOR LOMAX, THE HOUND OF MUSIC TO GO TO THE LOMAX PBSKIDS SITE. BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE VIDEOS!!!

Some time ago, I posted an entry about my sister and talked briefly about her role on a PBS music-oriented kids show coming in the fall. Well, the show has finally debuted and I just wanted to let everyone know about it. It's called Lomax, The Hound of Music and the show was developed to "increase the musical intelligence of children ages 3 - 7. Each half-hour episode uses research-based techniques to teach music to young kids, helping them to become better able to hold tunes in their heads and repeat them; better able to feel and sustain a beat; and more receptive to the ideas and feelings expressed in music." It's on the South Carolina PBS station, ETV, on Saturdays at 10:00am.

My daughter and I had the pleasure of watching 3 of the episodes with my sister a couple of weekends ago when she was visiting at the beach and it is really cute and funny! We both loved it, even though it is aimed at audiences just a bit younger than my daughter.

Programming for little girls my daughter's age (almost 9) is so difficult. Actually, toys, clothing, movies,...it seems so hard to find anything truly age appropriate for girls this age. I find it so discouraging sometimes. So I am thrilled to tell you about this smart and empowering web-based series targeting young girls, soon to debut on On Networks on November 17th! It's called "Smart Girls at the Party" and is a project my sister is very proud of. She worked with friends Amy Poehler, who is the host, and Meredith Walker, who is the producer. My sister, Amy, is the show musician. On each show they interview a girl(s) who is "changing the world just by being herself". I can't tell you how excited I am about this! You can read more by clicking on this link or to see a promo of the show, click on the video icon below.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!! I know exactly how you feel about finding age appropriate programming & clothing for our sweet girls! Congratulations to your sister on a job well done!